Friday, February 03, 2006

Found this promo of a stage play performed in London in 2004 hidden in my stuff. Titled Olurombi, it's the Yoruba folk-tale of a woman so desperate for a child, she pledges her pregnancy to the tree-god, Iroko...and the tree god comes to collect. Performed by a drama troupe in the House on the Rock (a church based in London), I guess it must have been given an end different from the one we know. I never got round to seeing it, but the song in the folk tale, for me, is a metaphor of the tale of Nigeria. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

From your blog and molara's, it seems London has many African cultural happenings.

Anonymous said...

Wow Laspapi,

Who could have guessed? I had no idea you have this flyer. I wrote and directed this version of Olurombi.Yes it was done with Ilumina, HOTR's drama troupe and you are right, it has a 'slightly' different twist from the one 'we' all know. You would have loved it :-)

Debbie Ehikioya