Saturday, September 09, 2006

At the short-listing of the nominees for the LNG Prize for Literature (Drama) last Thursday the 7th of September- Venue: Ocean View restaurant, Victoria Island. Some of the judges of the 77 entries (3 were disqualified thereafter) included (from left- Chief Joop Berkout-Publisher of Spectrum Books, Professor Ayo Banjo-former V.C. of the University of Ibadan and Professor Theo Vincent). The three shortlisted books were Hard Ground by Ahmed Yerima, C.E.O. of the National Arts Theatre, Ajayi Crowther by Professor Femi Osofisan, Professor of Drama at the University of Ibadan and Esoteric Dialogue by Emeka Egwuda, former Chairman of the Association of Nigerian Authors-Lagos State Chapter. For some reason, they failed to recognize my genius with my entry, The Other Side.  Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Araceli said...

Oh and I was really looking forward to the annoucement that yours is on the short list! I was already preparing what I was going to say the next time we met.

Still, for those of us who know you and your art, You Are the Winner...

laspapi said...

Thanks Araceli. I don't think I'm going to seek validity thro prizes hereinafter. Literature's too subjective.

Anonymous said...

On the contrary, you should start writing a new play, and go for it again at the next competition.

Araceli said...

I agree with isabella.

laspapi said...

ok ladies, I won't give up on the competition business.

"Never say die; up man and try".

Araceli said...

How about a collaboration?

Toluwalope said...

Laspapi,

You're right. Literature's too damn subjective! But prizes are not a bad idea afterall, they help one to get that vital "foot-in-the-door"! See this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13121947/site/newsweek/.

It's just a pity the world is filled with a lot of literature screaming "MEDIOCRITY" under the weight of their prizes, and even
more good stuff that will never smell the "shortlisted" or "nominated" or "winner" acclaim.

Toluwalope said...

Doesn't look like the link in my previous post came out unscathed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13121947/site/newsweek/

laspapi said...

Points noted, BOA. I'll be sure to check up on the link.

@Araceli- You'll tell me what you have in mind?

Aramide said...

Either way, with ur great work, ure definitely a winner

laspapi said...

mona, thanx. I appreciate the encouragement.