Friday, February 02, 2007

Please scroll down to participate in the Nigeria Discussion Series. The topic is Nigeria-A Lost Cause (The Politics...The Politicians)

For those interested in walking down Nigerian Television's memory lane, jola's done great work in digging up material on those TV programmes that kept us up till late hours in yesteryears, the good and the ...not so good. In my mind, after reading her post, I could recall a black and white sony tv we had, it had legs and a slide to cover the screen.

Up till this day, I'm bewildered when I hear Colour Television has been around since almost forever. For some reason I thought it only came into existence a few days before my father purchased it. It didn't help matters that our family was one of the first to purchase one in the neighbourhood. Ah, ignorance...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr wols, thanks a lot for this posting. just a week ago, i had thot of embarking on a project, something i did called '25 films that shaped our lives' in reference to Nigerian works. now with Jola's work, i have a great head start. thankyou. Joe Black spoke to me, i have sent you a mail in that regard.

feefey said...

to think that theres always been colored t.v. ,now thats funny, first pple 2 own a t.v. in ur area.. :)

Unknown said...

Your story about the color TV reminds me of years ago when we had the only telephone in our neighborhood plus it had International Dialing Tone...boy did that create some sensation!!!
We had a TV that had sliding doors and fancy handles...it was all the rage back then, and I still see it in old pictures and cringe

Anonymous said...

lmao@ your colour tv story... i think it was the same thing in my village... everybody used to come over during the christmas to watch soccer matches and it was such a big deal... lol... until they spoilt it and no one in my family was wililng to replace it.. so it became something of a 'push and start' machine... you gotta hit it by the sides to get a clear picture... lol.. it was the funniest thing ever!!!

laspapi said...

Apparently, colour tv's been around since the 2nd World War (1939-1945).

They must have swum across the atlantic to deliver ours, resting on islands along the way. That can be the only reason it took so long.

jak said...

thanks for linking us to jola's post... that was fantastic. she must have done a fair about of research and she has managed to make our hearts go all soft... Do you know if we can get any of these shows on DVDs or something? I'd love to show them to my shirren...

laspapi said...

One thing that's almost certain about Nigerian TV is a lack of records. NTA recorded over tapes of 'The Village Headmaster' (that fact I know)and some of the greatest TV progs are gone forever.
Maybe Jola's sources can help?

jak said...

Aww man! That sucks. I met a Cameroonian who was telling me how much they loved watching Naija TV programs from back in the day and how his dad still had the tapes. Maybe we would have to look to other countries for these records. That would be a sad statement about our beloved country if that would be the only way to access those "oldies, but goodies."